- 8 oz package chickpea pasta (any shape)
- ¼ cup sun-dried tomatoes in oil, julienned
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- ¼ tsp crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- 8 oz hearty greens such as spinach, kale, Swiss chard or the greens from beets, radishes, or turnips (or a combination), chopped
- 2 Tbsp Kalamata or green olives, chopped
- ¼ cup reserved cooking liquid from the pasta
- Salt and pepper to taste
- ¼ cup shredded parmesan cheese
- Cook pasta according to package instructions. While pasta is cooking, remove ¼–½ cup of the cooking liquid and set aside.
- While pasta is cooking, add sun-dried tomatoes, minced garlic and red pepper flakes to a large skillet and cook 1–2 minutes over medium heat. Add chopped greens, stirring to coat in oil. Cook over medium heat for a few minutes or until greens are wilted. Add chopped olives and continue cooking another 1–2 minutes.
- Add cooked pasta to the skillet the greens are cooking in, and toss to coat. Add a little of the reserved cooking liquid to keep everything from sticking together. (Start slowly and only add more water if needed; be cautious not to add too much water right away.) Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Remove from heat and top with shredded parmesan.
Amount per serving
Yield: 4 servings
Total Fat 10.8 g
Saturated Fat 1.6 g
Cholesterol 5 mg
Sodium 228 mg
Total Carbohydrate 40.7 g
Dietary Fiber 10.4 g
Total Sugars 8.2 g
Protein 17.9 g
Calcium 183 mg
Iron 9 mg
Potassium 317 mg
Live It is a cooking demonstration presented by the Nutrition Food Service and Wellness Departments at Parkview Health. Each episode is hosted by dietitian Andrea Miller, with a goal of showcasing nutrient-dense foods and teaching viewers doable ways to use them in order to promote wellness in our community.
For more recipes and to watch past episodes of Live It, visit www.www.chwchospital.org/live-it.