Pick & Roll Energy Bites
As demonstrated in the “Pick & Roll” episode of Live It – March 2019
Pick an ingredient from each category and roll with your own creation!
- 1 cup nuts: almonds, peanuts, walnuts, pecans, pistachios, cashews, sunflower seeds
- 1 cup dried fruit: dates, prunes, raisins, cherries, apricots, apples
- ½ cup grain or coconut: rolled oats, other rolled grain, popped amaranth, unsweetened shredded coconut
- ¼ cup nut butter: peanut, almond, cashew, sunflower seed, soy spread
- 1 tsp–1 Tbsp flavoring (optional): vanilla extract, almond extract, cocoa powder, cinnamon, apple pie seasoning, pumpkin spice, ginger, allspice, nutmeg, cloves, salt (⅛ tsp or less)
- 1–2 Tbsp sweetener (optional): Honey or maple syrup (add if your mixture isn’t quite sweet enough or sticky enough to form into a ball)
- 1 Tbsp super seeds (optional): Chia, ground flax, hemp, pumpkin, sunflower, sesame
- ¼ cup mix-ins (optional): chocolate chips, white chocolate chips, peanut butter chips, butterscotch chips, caramel bits, mini M&M’s, dried blueberries, dried cranberries, granola, unsweetened coconut
- Place nuts, fruit, and grain/coconut into the bowl of a food processor. Pulse until the mixture forms a fine crumb.
- Add nut butter, flavorings and sweetener and pulse until well combined.
- Open the food processor and press some of the dough together with your fingers to see if it is sticky enough to hold together in a ball. If the mixture is too dry, add more nut butter or liquid sweetener.
- Stir in desired seeds and mix-ins.
- Roll into small balls, then refrigerate or freeze for later; they thaw quickly at room temperature and are even yummy partially frozen!
Energy Bites Ideas
Almond Joy: Dates, almonds, coconut, almond butter, cocoa powder, almond extract. Mix in chocolate chips, some more coconut flakes and chia seeds if desired.
Apple Pie: Walnuts, dates, apples, rolled oats, almond butter, vanilla, cinnamon or apple pie spice, honey. Mix in Craisins, caramel bits or coconut.
“Simace”: Walnuts, prunes, popped amaranth, peanut butter, cinnamon, chia and chocolate chips. Original recipe from the Miller kitchen, name courtesy of Miles Miller (age 5).
Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookie (Budget Friendly!): Peanuts, raisins, oats, peanut butter, vanilla, honey, flax, chocolate chips.
Happy Trails: Sunflower seeds, raisins, coconut or oats, peanut butter or sunflower seed butter, chia seeds, honey, mini M&M’s.
Due to the customizable nature of this recipe, no nutrition information is available.
Live It is a cooking demonstration presented by the Nutrition Food Service and Wellness Departments at Parkview Health. Each episode is hosted by dietitian Andrea Miller, with a goal of showcasing nutrient-dense foods and teaching viewers doable ways to use them in order to promote wellness in our community.
For more recipes and to watch past episodes of Live It, visit www.www.chwchospital.org/live-it.