- 2 lbs button mushrooms, sliced in half, or about ½” thick
- 2 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 Tbsp soy sauce, tamari or coconut aminos
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- ½ tsp fresh thyme, chopped (⅛ tsp dried)
- Pepper to taste
- In a large bowl, whisk together the vinegar, soy sauce, garlic, thyme and pepper.
- Add sliced mushrooms and toss to coat.
- Marinate for 30 minutes.
- Arrange mushrooms on skewers and grill over medium-high heat for 2–3 minutes per side, or until slightly charred and tender.
Umami (noun | oo-mah-mee)
a taste sensation that is meaty or savory — imparted by glutamate and certain other amino acids — often considered to be one of the basic taste sensations along with sweet, sour, bitter and salty.
Amount per serving
Serving size is ⅙ recipe
Total Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 g
Sodium 124.4 g
Potassium 6 mg
Total Carbohydrate 6.7 g
Fiber 1.8 g
Sugars 1.8 g
Protein 5.6 g
Live It is a cooking demonstration presented by the Nutrition Food Services and Wellness Departments at Community Hospitals and Wellness Centers (CHWC). Episodes are hosted by registered dietitian and certified diabetes educator Andrea Miller, and each features a different special guest sous chef. The goal of Live It is to showcase nutrient-dense foods and teach viewers doable ways to use them in order to promote wellness in our community. Held once a month at Bryan Hospital, the show is recorded by Bryan Municipal Utilities in front of a live all-staff audience. For more recipes and to watch past episodes of Live It, visit www.chwchospital.org/live-it.