Maple Balsamic Roasted Chicken & Acorn Squash
As demonstrated in the “Squash & Sauce” episode of Live It – September 2019
- 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 1 acorn squash
- 2 cups carrots, diced into ¼” pieces
- 1 small onion, cut into strips
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- ¼ cup balsamic vinegar
- Salt and pepper to taste (optional)
- Preheat oven to 450° F.
- Wash acorn squash. Cut in half lengthwise and remove the seeds. Slice squash halves into ½” crescent-shaped slices.
- In a large, greased baking dish, arrange squash slices in a single layer. Sprinkle carrot and onion pieces over the squash. Arrange chicken, smooth side down, on top of vegetables.
- Roast vegetables and chicken in preheated oven for 10 minutes. Meanwhile, mix together maple syrup and balsamic vinegar.
- Remove baking dish from the oven, carefully turn the chicken thighs over. Pour maple and balsamic mixture all over chicken and vegetables. If desired, season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Return baking dish to the oven and continue roasting for 20-30 more minutes, or until chicken reaches and internal temperature of 165° and squash is fork-tender. Serve immediately and enjoy!
Amount per serving
Yield: 4 servings
Total Fat 7.3 g
Saturated Fat 2.0 g
Polyunsaturated Fat 1.7 g
Monounsaturated Fat 3.0 g
Cholesterol 90.0 g
Sodium 214.9 g
Potassium 663.8 mg
Total Carbohydrate 35.0 g
Dietary Fiber 3.9 g
Sugars 16.2 g
Protein 17.8 g
Vitamin A 161.3%
Vitamin B-6 14.4%
Vitamin C 29.1%
Live It is a cooking demonstration presented by the Nutrition Food Service and Wellness Departments at Parkview Health. Each episode is hosted by dietitian Andrea Miller, with a goal of showcasing nutrient-dense foods and teaching viewers doable ways to use them in order to promote wellness in our community.
For more recipes and to watch past episodes of Live It, visit www.www.chwchospital.org/live-it.