- 1 cup black “forbidden” rice
- 1 large bunch of kale
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- 4 eggs, cooked as desired
- Salt and pepper to taste
Steps 1–4 may be prepared up to a day ahead of time.
- Bring 2 cups of water to a boil. Stir in rice, cover, reduce heat to medium-low and simmer 35–40 minutes or until all water is absorbed. Remove from heat and let sit for 5 minutes with cover on.
- Preheat oven to 400°. Wash kale and remove tough stems, then chop into bite-sized pieces. Pile onto a rimmed baking sheet, drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Massage oil and seasonings into kale until well-coated. Spread kale on baking sheet and roast 10–15 minutes or until kale is tender and crisp in some spots.
- Mix rice and kale together in a large storage container. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- In a small bowl, whisk sauce ingredients together. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- To serve, cook eggs sunny side up or however you prefer. Drizzle dressing all over rice and kale mixture and stir to combine, then microwave until heated through. Divide into four portions and top with an egg and sliced scallions. Enjoy!
- Try this recipe with all your favorite whole grains: brown rice, red rice, wild rice, quinoa or faro would all be excellent.
- Don’t like kale? No problem! Try using your favorite vegetables, roasted or cooked any way you like!
- This is a great meal prep recipe and is delicious at any time of the day!
Nutrition information is unavailable at this time.
Live It is a cooking demonstration presented by the Nutrition Food Service and Wellness Departments at Parkview Health. Each episode is hosted by dietitian Andrea Miller, with a goal of showcasing nutrient-dense foods and teaching viewers doable ways to use them in order to promote wellness in our community.
For more recipes and to watch past episodes of Live It, visit www.www.chwchospital.org/live-it.