- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- ¼ tsp crushed red pepper (optional)
- 15.5 oz can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes
- 2 cups fresh spinach or kale, chopped (or ½ cup frozen)
- 4 eggs
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Start by prepping all ingredients; this recipe cooks quickly once you start!
- In a non-stick skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion and cook until soft.
- Add garlic and crushed red pepper. Cook for a few seconds, until you start to smell the garlic.
- Add beans, tomatoes and chopped greens. Cook for a few minutes until greens are wilted and tomato juices are bubbling. Season vegetable mixture with salt and pepper to taste.
- Make 4 wells in the vegetable mixture. Crack an egg into each well. Season eggs as desired. Cook uncovered 2–3 minutes, then cover and cook an additional minute or two or until eggs reach desired consistency.
- Serve immediately and enjoy! Serves 2–4 people. Serve with whole grain toast and fruit to balance out the meal!
Amount per serving
Yield: 4 servings
Total Fat 8.2 g
Saturated Fat 1.9 g
Cholesterol 164 mg
Sodium 227 mg
Total Carbohydrate 23.3 g
Dietary Fiber 7.4 g
Total Sugars 3.9 g
Protein 14.8 g
Vitamin D 15 mg
Calcium 55 mg
Iron 2 mg
Potassium 418 mg
Live It is a cooking demonstration presented by the Nutrition Food Service and Wellness Departments at Parkview Health. Each episode is hosted by dietitian Andrea Miller, with a goal of showcasing nutrient-dense foods and teaching viewers doable ways to use them in order to promote wellness in our community.
For more recipes and to watch past episodes of Live It, visit www.www.chwchospital.org/live-it.