- ⅓ ripe avocado
- 1 hardboiled egg
- ⅓ cup refrigerated sauerkraut
- Fresh black pepper, to taste
- Whole grain bread, pita, tortilla or crackers to serve (optional)
- Fresh spinach, spring greens or romaine lettuce for serving (optional)
- Dice avocado and egg into bite-size pieces into a small bowl. Mash avocado and egg lightly with a fork and stir to incorporate.
- Add sauerkraut to avocado and egg mixture and stir to combine. Season with black pepper to taste.
- Serve as desired with crackers, as a topping for toast, or as a sandwich filling. I love to fill a whole wheat pita pocket with this salad along with fresh greens.
- Serve immediately and enjoy!
Note: This recipe makes one serving, but can easily be multiplied.
Amount per serving
Yield: 1 serving
Total Fat 17.5 g
Saturated Fat 4.1 g
Cholesterol 164 mg
Sodium 378 mg
Total Carbohydrate 8.1 g
Dietary Fiber 5.9 g
Total Sugars 1.5 g
Protein 7.2 g
Vitamin D 15 mg
Calcium 46 mg
Iron 2 mg
Potassium 464 mg
Live It is a cooking demonstration presented by the Nutrition Food Service and Wellness Departments at Parkview Health. Each episode is hosted by dietitian Andrea Miller, with a goal of showcasing nutrient-dense foods and teaching viewers doable ways to use them in order to promote wellness in our community.
For more recipes and to watch past episodes of Live It, visit www.www.chwchospital.org/live-it.