- 8 oz spaghetti noodles (preferably whole wheat)
- ¼–½ cup reserved cooking liquid from pasta
- ¼ cup olive oil or a blend of olive oil and the oil that your sun-dried tomatoes are packed in
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 Tbsp minced oil-packed sundried tomatoes
- ½-1 tsp red pepper flakes (optional)
- 2 cans water-packed tuna
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- ¼ tsp salt
- Black pepper to taste
- ½ cup fresh grated Parmesan cheese
- Cook pasta per package instructions. Reserve about ¼–½ cup cooking liquid.
- While pasta is cooking, heat oil over medium heat. Add minced garlic, sun-dried tomatoes and red pepper flakes. Cook for a minute, or until garlic is fragrant. Add tuna (no need to drain), lemon juice, salt and pepper. Cook a minute or two to heat through.
- Toss cooked pasta with tuna mixture. Add some reserved cooking liquid, a tablespoon at a time, to the pasta. This will prevent the dish from getting too dry, but be careful not to add too much; you do not want this dish to be watery.
- Top with Parmesan cheese and serve immediately. Round out the meal with a green salad or cooked vegetable on the side.
Amount per serving
Yield: 4 servings
Total Fat 18.7 g
Saturated Fat 4.1 g
Cholesterol 35 mg
Sodium 332 mg
Total Carbohydrate 36.3 g
Dietary Fiber 6.1 g
Total Sugars 0.4 g
Protein 34.9 g
Vitamin D 0 mg
Calcium 161 mg
Iron 4 mg
Potassium 227 mg
Live It is a cooking demonstration presented by the Nutrition Food Service and Wellness Departments at Parkview Health. Each episode is hosted by dietitian Andrea Miller, with a goal of showcasing nutrient-dense foods and teaching viewers doable ways to use them in order to promote wellness in our community.
For more recipes and to watch past episodes of Live It, visit www.www.chwchospital.org/live-it.