- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- ¼ tsp crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- 4 cups vegetable or chicken broth
- 3 cups water
- ¾ cup uncooked quinoa, rinsed*
- 2 cans (14.5 oz ) fire roasted diced tomatoes**
- 10 oz fresh baby spinach
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large stock pot, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add chopped onion, garlic and crushed red pepper flakes and cook for 3–5 minutes or until onions become translucent.
- Add broth, water and quinoa to the pot and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 15 minutes or until quinoa is tender.
- Add tomatoes and spinach and continue cooking for another 5 minutes, or until spinach wilts.
*Whole wheat orzo pasta may be used in place of quinoa.
**Try swapping canned tomatoes for fresh roasted tomatoes! You will need about 4 large tomatoes for this recipe. Simply slice the tomatoes in half, arrange cut-side-down on a rimmed baking sheet, drizzle with olive oil and roast in a 400º oven until tomato skins begin to turn slightly brown, about 20–30 minutes. Remove from the oven and allow to cool. Carefully peel the skins off the tomatoes and discard. Dice the tomatoes and add to soup when adding the spinach.
Amount per serving
Servings per recipe: 8
Total Fat 2.8 g
Saturated Fat 0.3 g
Polyunsaturated Fat 0.2 g
Monounsaturated Fat 1.3 g
Cholesterol 0.0 mg
Sodium 572.9 mg
Potassium 444.7 mg
Total Carbohydrate 21.1 g
Dietary Fiber 4.0 g
Sugars 5.2 g
Protein 4.4 g
Live It is a cooking demonstration presented by the Nutrition Food Service and Wellness Departments at Parkview Health. Each episode is hosted by dietitian Andrea Miller, with a goal of showcasing nutrient-dense foods and teaching viewers doable ways to use them in order to promote wellness in our community.
For more recipes and to watch past episodes of Live It, visit www.www.chwchospital.org/live-it.