As demonstrated in the “Baba What?” episode of Live It – June 2019
- ½ cup bulgur wheat
- 1½ cups finely diced tomatoes, preferably Roma
- 3–5 scallions (green onions), thinly sliced
- 2 cups finely chopped fresh parsley
- ¼–½ cup chopped fresh mint leaves
- 2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- ⅓ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- ¼ tsp salt
- Rinse bulgur in cold running water. Transfer to a bowl, cover with boiling water and soak for at least 20 minutes. Drain and transfer to a larger bowl.
- Add tomatoes, scallions, parsley and mint and toss to coat.
- Prepare the dressing by whisking together the lemon juice, olive oil and salt.
- Pour the dressing over the salad and stir well to combine. Allow the salad to rest in the refrigerator for 30–60 minutes to allow the bulgur to absorb some of liquid and flavors. Serve as a side dish.
Amount per serving
Yield: 6 servings
Total Fat 12.5 g
Saturated Fat 1.7 g
Polyunsaturated Fat 1.2 g
Monounsaturated Fat 8.9 g
Cholesterol 0.0 mg
Sodium 122.4 mg
Potassium 346.7 mg
Total Carbohydrate 13.9 g
Dietary Fiber 3.9 g
Sugars 0.6 g
Protein 2.9 g
Vitamin A 58.2%
Vitamin C 79.2%
Vitamin E 11.0%
Live It is a cooking demonstration presented by the Nutrition Food Services and Wellness Departments at Community Hospitals and Wellness Centers (CHWC). Episodes are hosted by registered dietitian and certified diabetes educator Andrea Miller, and each features a different special guest sous chef. The goal of Live It is to showcase nutrient-dense foods and teach viewers doable ways to use them in order to promote wellness in our community. Held once a month at Bryan Hospital, the show is recorded by Bryan Municipal Utilities in front of a live all-staff audience. For more recipes and to watch past episodes of Live It, visit www.chwchospital.org/live-it.