- 4 large ears of fresh sweet corn, kernels removed (about 2 cups)
- 15 oz can black beans, rinsed & drained
- ½ cup red onion, finely chopped
- ½ cup chopped red, orange, or yellow bell pepper
- 1 cup chopped fresh tomato
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 tsp chili powder
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- 4 Tbsp fresh lime juice (2 limes)
- 1 tsp olive oila
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- Large lettuce or cabbage leaves to use as wraps, or shredded lettuce
- Ripe avocado for serving
- Tortilla strips or a few crunched up tortilla chips for serving
In a medium bowl, combine corn, beans, onion, bell pepper, tomato, cilantro, chili powder, cayenne, lime juice and olive oil. Mix well, and season with salt and pepper if desired. If time allows, cover and allow to set for 30 minutes in the refrigerator to blend the flavors.
- Carefully remove large leaves from a head of lettuce or cabbage to use as a wrap. Top with a slice of avocado and crushed tortilla chips.
- Serve over a bed of shredded lettuce – don’t forget the avocado and crushed chips!
- Serve in a burrito bowl with rice, grilled chicken and avocado.
- Use as a salsa with tortilla chips or as a topping for tacos.
- Forget the wrap and toppings. This salad is fantastic on its own!
Amount per serving
Serving size: about 1¼ cups
Yield: 4 servings
(Does not include lettuce, avocado or chips.)
Total Fat 2.5 g
Carbohydrate 38 g
Fiber 8 g
Protein 8.5 g
Live It is a cooking demonstration presented by the Nutrition Food Services and Wellness Departments at Community Hospitals and Wellness Centers (CHWC). Episodes are hosted by registered dietitian and certified diabetes educator Andrea Miller, and each features a different special guest sous chef. The goal of Live It is to showcase nutrient-dense foods and teach viewers doable ways to use them in order to promote wellness in our community. Held once a month at Bryan Hospital, the show is recorded by Bryan Municipal Utilities in front of a live all-staff audience. For more recipes and to watch past episodes of Live It, visit www.chwchospital.org/live-it.