- 1 cup green, brown, French or black lentils
- 1 medium red onion, sliced
- 3 cups carrots, cut into sticks
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- ¼ cup fresh chopped herbs such as dill or parsley (optional)
- Fresh spring greens for serving, such as arugula, spinach or spring mix (optional)
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 2 tsp maple syrup or honey
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Add lentils and at least 4 cups of water to a medium-sized pot. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium to maintain a simmer. Cook 18–30 minutes or until lentils reach desired tenderness. Drain excess water from lentils and set aside. Lentils can be cooked up to a day ahead of time.
- While lentils are cooking, preheat oven to 400º. Cut carrots into small sticks and onions into similarly sized pieces. Pile vegetables onto a baking sheet, drizzle with 2 Tbsp olive oil and toss to coat. Spread vegetables evenly on the baking sheet and roast in preheated oven 10–15 minutes or until crisp-tender and starting to brown.
- In a large serving bowl, add all of the dressing ingredients and whisk well. Add roasted vegetables, lentils and herbs to the bowl and toss gently to combine. Garnish with additional fresh herbs if desired. Serve over a bed of spring greens if desired. Makes a wonderful side dish or vegan main dish!
Nutrition information is unavailable at this time.
Live It is a cooking demonstration presented by the Nutrition Food Service and Wellness Departments at Parkview Health. Each episode is hosted by dietitian Andrea Miller, with a goal of showcasing nutrient-dense foods and teaching viewers doable ways to use them in order to promote wellness in our community.
For more recipes and to watch past episodes of Live It, visit www.www.chwchospital.org/live-it.