- 3 Tbsp lime juice
- 1 tsp lime zest (optional)
- 3 Tbsp canola oil
- 2 Tbsp chopped fresh cilantro
- ¼ tsp salt (optional)
- 1 sweet bell pepper or 3 jalapeños, seeded and cut into bite-size pieces
- 2 firm plums, pitted and cut into sixths (could substitute peaches or nectarines)
- 4 metal or wooden skewers
- If using wooden skewers, soak in water for 30 minutes.
- Whisk lime juice, lime zest, oil, cilantro and salt together in a large bowl. Reserve 3 Tbsp in a small bowl to use as a dressing.
- Add shrimp, jalapeños and plums to the marinade and stir to coat.
- Preheat grill to medium-high.
- Thread shrimp, peppers and plums onto skewers.
- Grill kebabs for about 4 minutes on each side, or until shrimp are cooked through and pink. Place kebabs on a serving platter and drizzle with reserved dressing.
Kebab serving suggestions: To round out the meal, serve kebabs with a whole grain such as brown rice, quinoa or whole wheat couscous and a green salad.
Amount per serving
Yield: 4 servings
Total Fat 8 g
Protein 24 g
Carbohydrate 5 g
Live It is a cooking demonstration presented by the Nutrition Food Services and Wellness Departments at Community Hospitals and Wellness Centers (CHWC). Episodes are hosted by registered dietitian and certified diabetes educator Andrea Miller, and each features a different special guest sous chef. The goal of Live It is to showcase nutrient-dense foods and teach viewers doable ways to use them in order to promote wellness in our community. Held once a month at Bryan Hospital, the show is recorded by Bryan Municipal Utilities in front of a live all-staff audience. For more recipes and to watch past episodes of Live It, visit www.chwchospital.org/live-it.