- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 Tbsp minced garlic
- 1 lb beet greens, leaves shredded (about 6 cups) and stems discarded
- 1 tsp capers
- 2 Tbsp sun-dried tomatoes, chopped
- Black pepper & salt to taste
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add onion and cook until translucent.
- Add garlic and cook about 1 minute.
- Add the shredded beet greens and toss to coat.
- Cook the greens until wilted, about 3–5 minutes.
- Add sun-dried tomatoes and capers and cook another minute.
- Season with black pepper and salt to taste before serving.
Note: This recipe also works well with other types of greens, especially Swiss chard and spinach.
Amount per serving
Yield: 4 servings
Total Fat 7.2 g
Saturated Fat 1.0 g
Polyunsaturated Fat 1.1 g
Monounsaturated Fat 5.0 g
Cholesterol 0.0 mg
Sodium 188.5 mg
Potassium 574.4 mg
Total Carbohydrate 8.3 g
Dietary Fiber 3.2 g
Sugars 1.0 g
Protein 2.2 g
Vitamin A 72.4%
Vitamin B-6 8.2%
Vitamin C 36.1%
Live It is a cooking demonstration presented by the Nutrition Food Service and Wellness Departments at Parkview Health. Each episode is hosted by dietitian Andrea Miller, with a goal of showcasing nutrient-dense foods and teaching viewers doable ways to use them in order to promote wellness in our community.
For more recipes and to watch past episodes of Live It, visit www.www.chwchospital.org/live-it.