- 2 cups fresh or frozen tart cherries (pitted)
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1½ Tbsp cornstarch
- ⅛ tsp almond extract
- ½ Easy Oil Pie Crust recipe
- ½ Tbsp granulated cane sugar such as Sugar In the Raw (optional)
- Mix sugar and cornstarch together and set aside.
- Place pitted cherries in a medium bowl and microwave about 2 minutes until juices begin to release. Add sugar and cornstarch mixture to the cherries and stir well. Microwave again for about 3 minutes. Juice should now appear thick. Add almond extract, stir and set aside. This filling may also be made on the stovetop following same steps and cooking over medium heat until juice is thickened.
- Follow step #2 from the Easy Oil Pie Crust recipe to make a 11-12″ round pie dough. Transfer circle of dough to a cookie sheet. Pour pie filling into the center of the crust. Fold the edges of the crust so that about 1½” of filling is covered on all sides. The dough will not completely cover the pie filling, and most of the filling should still be visible.
- If desired, sprinkle crust with ½ Tbsp granulated cane sugar.
- Bake at 350° for 40–50 minutes or until crust is lightly browned.
Amount per serving
Yield: 6 servings
Total Fat 9.5 g
Saturated Fat 0.8 g
Polyunsaturated Fat 2.7 g
Monounsaturated Fat 5.4 g
Sodium 101.9 mg
Total Carbohydrate 34.0 g
Dietary Fiber 2.8 g
Protein 3.6 g
Live It is a cooking demonstration presented by the Nutrition Food Services and Wellness Departments at Community Hospitals and Wellness Centers (CHWC). Episodes are hosted by registered dietitian and certified diabetes educator Andrea Miller, and each features a different special guest sous chef. The goal of Live It is to showcase nutrient-dense foods and teach viewers doable ways to use them in order to promote wellness in our community. Held once a month at Bryan Hospital, the show is recorded by Bryan Municipal Utilities in front of a live all-staff audience. For more recipes and to watch past episodes of Live It, visit www.chwchospital.org/live-it.