Pick & Roll Quesadillas
As demonstrated in the “Pick & Roll” episode of Live It – March 2019
Pick an ingredient from each category and roll with your own creation!
- Tortilla: Choose your favorite brand, preferably whole wheat.
- Cheese (preferably shredded): Cheddar, Monterrey Jack, Pepper Jack, mozzarella, Mexican blend, Swiss, Gouda, Brie, or any other natural cheese.
- Protein: Chicken, steak, pork, turkey, taco meat, ham, chorizo, hamburger, deli meat, leftover BBQ, pepperoni, sausage, refried beans, black beans, bacon, scrambled eggs
- Vegetable/Fruit: Diced pepper, onion, green onion, spinach, tomato, avocado, mushrooms, corn, cooked broccoli/cauliflower, grilled vegetables, roasted vegetables, olives, pickles, pineapple, apples, pears
- Miscellaneous: Taco seasoning, garlic powder, paprika, onion powder, grill seasoning, jerk seasoning
- Sauce: Salsa, pizza sauce, guacamole, pesto, enchilada sauce, sour cream, Sriracha, salad dressings
- Prepare desired toppings.
- Preheat a griddle to medium heat. Place tortilla on the griddle. Add desired toppings on ½ of the tortilla. Fold the other half of the tortilla over the ingredients. Cook on one side until tortilla is golden brown and cheese is starting to melt. Flip and continue cooking to brown the other side. Transfer quesadilla to a plate, slice into triangles and serve and enjoy!
- Pizzadilla: Mozzarella cheese and your favorite pizza toppings (don’t forget the veggies!). Add some pizza sauce to the inside, or use it as a dip.
- Cheeseburger: Crumbled hamburger, grill seasoning, cheddar cheese, chopped onion, pickle and tomato
- Hawaiian: Mozzarella, ham, red bell pepper and pineapple
- Cheesy Broccoli: Cheddar, chopped cooked broccoli, corn, garlic powder.
- Breakfast: Cheddar, sausage, scrambled egg, sautéed pepper and onion
- Thanksgiving: Cheddar, turkey, cranberry sauce, green onion
- Southwestern: Mexican blend cheese, taco seasoning, black beans, corn, green onion
Due to the customizable nature of this recipe, no nutrition information is available.
Live It is a cooking demonstration presented by the Nutrition Food Service and Wellness Departments at Parkview Health. Each episode is hosted by dietitian Andrea Miller, with a goal of showcasing nutrient-dense foods and teaching viewers doable ways to use them in order to promote wellness in our community.
For more recipes and to watch past episodes of Live It, visit www.www.chwchospital.org/live-it.