Pick & Roll Egg Sandwiches
As demonstrated in the “Pick & Roll” episode of Live It – March 2019
Pick an ingredient from each category and roll with your own creation!
- Bread: English muffin, bagel, bagel thin, biscuit, toast (preferably 100% whole grain)
- Bell pepper: Red, orange, yellow or green (or any shade in between!)
- Egg: Over easy/medium/hard, scrambled, or just the whites
- Cheese: Cheddar, Swiss, Pepper Jack, Colby, provolone, Gouda, muenster, Havarti, mozzarella or any other natural cheese (try to avoid pasteurized processed cheese product)
- Meat: Ham, bacon, sausage, turkey sausage, deli meat
- Toppings: Butter, avocado, spinach, arugula, onion, guacamole, tomato, pesto, hot sauce, chives, cilantro, sautéed greens, grilled zucchini or eggplant, sundried tomato, olive tapenade…the possibilities are endless!
- Toast bread, and butter if desired.
- Cook or heat meat per package instructions.
- Cook egg as desired, or for a fun variation, try slicing a bell pepper into ½” thick rings. Place pepper ring(s) on a greased non-stick griddle or frying pan. Crack egg into the center of each pepper. It will look like the eggs are in a little pepper nest! Cook the egg/pepper until the egg is firm on the bottom. Flip to cook the other side. Cook until the egg is set to your liking. Top egg with cheese to let the warmth of the egg melt the cheese.
- Build your sandwich with your choice of bread, egg, cheese, meat and toppings. Serve immediately and enjoy!
Due to the customizable nature of this recipe, no nutrition information is available.
Live It is a cooking demonstration presented by the Nutrition Food Services and Wellness Departments at Community Hospitals and Wellness Centers (CHWC). Episodes are hosted by registered dietitian and certified diabetes educator Andrea Miller, and each features a different special guest sous chef. The goal of Live It is to showcase nutrient-dense foods and teach viewers doable ways to use them in order to promote wellness in our community. Held once a month at Bryan Hospital, the show is recorded by Bryan Municipal Utilities in front of a live all-staff audience. For more recipes and to watch past episodes of Live It, visit www.chwchospital.org/live-it.