- 1 lb ground chicken or turkey
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- ½ cup green pepper, chopped
- 15 oz can pinto beans, drained & rinsed
- 15 oz can black beans, drained & rinsed
- 10 oz can diced tomatoes with green chilies
- ⅓ cup water
- 1 Tbsp taco seasoning
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 6 whole wheat tortillas
- Non-stick cooking spray
- 1 tsp olive oil
Optional, for serving:
- Chopped green onions
- Fresh tomato, diced
- Sour cream or plain Greek yogurt
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Add 1 tsp olive oil to a skillet or coat with cooking spray. Cook meat, onion and green pepper over medium heat until meat is fully cooked and vegetables are tender. Drain if necessary.
- Add beans, tomatoes with chilies, water and taco seasoning to the skillet and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Put a small amount of the meat mixture in the bottom of a greased pan, cut tortillas in half and layer across the mixture in the pan; add another layer of the meat mixture, then a layer of cheese and continue making 3 layers.
- Put long toothpicks in the casserole and cover with foil, then bake 45–60 minutes.
- Cut, serve, enjoy!
Amount per serving
Yield: 8 servings
Total Fat: 12 g
Protein: 25.5 g
Carbohydrate: 40 g
Live It is a cooking demonstration presented by the Nutrition Food Services and Wellness Departments at Community Hospitals and Wellness Centers (CHWC). Episodes are hosted by registered dietitian and certified diabetes educator Andrea Miller, and each features a different special guest sous chef. The goal of Live It is to showcase nutrient-dense foods and teach viewers doable ways to use them in order to promote wellness in our community. Held once a month at Bryan Hospital, the show is recorded by Bryan Municipal Utilities in front of a live all-staff audience. For more recipes and to watch past episodes of Live It, visit www.chwchospital.org/live-it.