- 1 cup uncooked brown rice (makes approx. 3 cups cooked)
- 1 Tbsp oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 12 oz package frozen peas and carrots
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 3 Tbsp reduced sodium soy sauce
- 1 cup shelled edamame (optional)
- ½–1 cup cooked protein such as chicken, shrimp, beef, pork or ham (optional)
- Cook rice according to package instructions. Rice may be cooked 1–2 days ahead of time.
- In a large nonstick skillet or wok, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add diced onion and cook 2–3 minutes or until translucent. Add garlic and cook another minute. Add frozen peas and carrots, edamame and any other protein you are using. Cook a few minutes until vegetables are heated through.
- Move vegetables to one side of the skillet. In the other side, add lightly-beaten eggs and cook, stirring occasionally until eggs are cooked through. Mix eggs and vegetables together.
- Add cooked rice and stir until heated through.
- Drizzle soy sauce over fried rice and stir to coat.
- Serve immediately as a main dish (serves 4) or a side dish (serves 6–8).
Note: Using store-brand ingredients and edamame, this basic fried rice recipe costs around $0.99–$3.95 per serving! (Other optional protein is not included in cost.)
Amount per serving
Yield: 4 servings
Total Fat 9.2 g
Saturated Fat 1.7 g
Cholesterol 82 mg
Sodium 546 mg
Total Carbohydrate 52.7 g
Dietary Fiber 6.2 g
Total Sugars 6.1 g
Protein 13.8 g
Vitamin D 8 mg
Calcium 96 mg
Iron 3 mg
Potassium 535 mg
Live It is a cooking demonstration presented by the Nutrition Food Service and Wellness Departments at Parkview Health. Each episode is hosted by dietitian Andrea Miller, with a goal of showcasing nutrient-dense foods and teaching viewers doable ways to use them in order to promote wellness in our community.
For more recipes and to watch past episodes of Live It, visit www.www.chwchospital.org/live-it.