- Corn tortillas (1–2 per person)
- Eggs (1–2 per person)
- Fresh spinach
- Ham, bacon or sausage
- Avocado (sliced or mashed)
- Fresh chopped cilantro
- Fresh chopped chives
- Hot sauce or Sriracha
- Salsa or pico de gallo
- Refried black beans
- Sour cream or Greek yogurt
- Smoked paprika
- Decide how you want to cook your eggs–scrambled, sunny side up, over easy… however you like them!
- Pick a your toppings and ingredients.
- Begin cooking your eggs. As they cook, heat the tortillas until they are warm and pliable. Tortillas may be heated in a dry skillet, on a dry griddle, or in the microwave wrapped in a paper towel.
- To serve, place warm tortillas on a plate, top with egg and other desired toppings. Enjoy for breakfast, lunch, dinner, or a hearty snack!
Egg Taco Ideas
The Sam I Am: Heat 1 tsp of butter in a non-stick skillet over medium heat. Add spinach (about a handful per egg) and diced ham. Cook, stirring occasionally, until spinach wilts. Meanwhile, crack eggs into a bowl. Lightly scramble, then add to the skillet. Cook until eggs reach desired consistency. Place in warm corn tortillas and add diced avocado, chopped chives, cheddar cheese, hot sauce, smoked paprika.
The Southwestern: Cook egg as desired and heat tortilla on a griddle. Layer tortilla with refried black beans, shredded cheese, salsa and egg. Top with guacamole and hot sauce.
The Andrea: Cook egg as desired and heat tortilla on a griddle. Top tortilla with shredded cheese, egg, avocado, Sriracha and a few sprigs of fresh cilantro.
Due to the customizable nature of this recipe, no nutrition information is available.
Live It is a cooking demonstration presented by the Nutrition Food Services and Wellness Departments at Community Hospitals and Wellness Centers (CHWC). Episodes are hosted by registered dietitian and certified diabetes educator Andrea Miller, and each features a different special guest sous chef. The goal of Live It is to showcase nutrient-dense foods and teach viewers doable ways to use them in order to promote wellness in our community. Held once a month at Bryan Hospital, the show is recorded by Bryan Municipal Utilities in front of a live all-staff audience. For more recipes and to watch past episodes of Live It, visit www.chwchospital.org/live-it.