- 1 lb ground turkey, chicken, beef or pork
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 bags shredded cabbage (coleslaw) or a small head of cabbage, shredded
- 1½ cups shredded carrots
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 Tbsp grated fresh ginger or 1 tsp dried ginger
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 1 Tbsp sesame oil or another oil of choice
- 1–2 Tbsp olive oil
- 3 Tbsp reduced sodium soy sauce
- Prior to cooking, wash and prepare all of your vegetables.
- Prepare the sauce by stirring to combining the garlic, ginger, black pepper, sesame oil, 1 Tbsp olive oil, and soy sauce in a small bowl.
- In a very large skillet or wok, cook ground meat and onions, using a spatula to crumble the meat as it browns. If using a very lean meat, add 1 Tbsp of olive oil as it cooks to help prevent the stir-fry from sticking.
- Add the shredded cabbage and carrots. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes.
- Add the sauce and stir to combine. Continue cooking, stirring occasionally, 5–10 minutes or until the cabbage is tender. Serve and enjoy!
Amount per serving
Serving size: ⅙ recipe
Total Fat 12.2 g
Cholesterol 53.3 mg
Sodium 387.7 mg
Potassium 139.3 mg
Total Carbohydrate 13.9 g
Dietary Fiber 4.4 g
Sugars 7.1 g
Protein 17.4 g
Vitamin A 89.5%
Vitamin C 84.3%
Vitamin E 5.0%
Live It is a cooking demonstration presented by the Nutrition Food Services and Wellness Departments at Community Hospitals and Wellness Centers (CHWC). Episodes are hosted by registered dietitian and certified diabetes educator Andrea Miller, and each features a different special guest sous chef. The goal of Live It is to showcase nutrient-dense foods and teach viewers doable ways to use them in order to promote wellness in our community. Held once a month at Bryan Hospital, the show is recorded by Bryan Municipal Utilities in front of a live all-staff audience. For more recipes and to watch past episodes of Live It, visit www.chwchospital.org/live-it.