- 2 cups packed cilantro
- ½ cup almonds
- ¼ cup chopped red onion
- ½ jalapeno, seeded and chopped (optional, adjust amount to taste)
- ¼ cup olive oil
- Salt to taste (about ½ tsp)
- Add all ingredients except for olive oil, salt and pepper into food processer. Pulse to chop and combine the ingredients.
- With the food processor running, slowly add the olive oil. Turn off the processor, scrape down the sides, and process again until smooth.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Use immediately as desired on pasta, pizza, baked potatoes or as a spread.
- Refrigerate leftover pesto tightly covered with plastic wrap.
- To freeze, line an ice cube tray with plastic wrap. Pour pesto in the tray and freeze until solid. Once frozen, transfer pesto cubes to a zip top bag and store in the freezer for several months. Alternately, pesto can be poured directly into a large zip top bag. Zip partially closed and squeeze as much air as possible out of the bag. Close the bag the remainder of the way and lay flat in the freezer, making sure the pesto is in an even layer. When ready to use, break off a chunk of the frozen pesto and return the rest to the freezer.
Serving size: 1 Tbsp
Yield: 16 servings
Total Fat 4.8 g
Saturated Fat 0.6 g
Polyunsaturated Fat 0.6 g
Monounsaturated Fat 3.4 g
Sodium 72.7 mg
Total Carbohydrate 1.0 g
Protein 0.8 g
Live It is a cooking demonstration presented by the Nutrition Food Service and Wellness Departments at Parkview Health. Each episode is hosted by dietitian Andrea Miller, with a goal of showcasing nutrient-dense foods and teaching viewers doable ways to use them in order to promote wellness in our community.
For more recipes and to watch past episodes of Live It, visit www.www.chwchospital.org/live-it.