- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 10 oz bag frozen mirepoix blend vegetables (onion, carrot and celery) or ¾ cup each chopped fresh onion, carrot and celery (may add more vegetables if desired)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 6 cups low-sodium chicken broth (or more, if desired)
- 2 bay leaves (optional)
- ½ tsp dried thyme
- ½ tsp dried oregano
- 9 oz whole wheat egg noodles
- 1 ½ cups cooked chicken, shredded or cut into bite-size pieces
- 3 Tbsp fresh parsley, finely chopped (optional)
- 2 tsp lemon juice (optional)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat oil in a large stock pot over medium heat. Add vegetables and cook until tender, about 4–7 minutes.
- Add garlic and cook for another minute or two.
- Add chicken broth and dried herbs and bring to a boil.
- Add noodles and boil for about 7 more minutes.
- Add the chicken, parsley and lemon juice and boil for another minute or two.
- Turn off the heat and allow soup to cool slightly. Remove the bay leaves and season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve immediately or store in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. May be frozen for up to 6 months.
Amount per serving
Serving size: ⅛ recipe
Total Fat 3.3 g
Saturated Fat 0.5 g
Polyunsaturated Fat 0.6 g
Monounsaturated Fat 1.7 g
Cholesterol 19.7 mg
Sodium 465.9 mg
Total Carbohydrate 19 g
Dietary Fiber 3.1 g
Protein 12.5 g
Vitamin A 31.7%
Vitamin C 7.6%
Live It is a cooking demonstration presented by the Nutrition Food Service and Wellness Departments at Parkview Health. Each episode is hosted by dietitian Andrea Miller, with a goal of showcasing nutrient-dense foods and teaching viewers doable ways to use them in order to promote wellness in our community.
For more recipes and to watch past episodes of Live It, visit www.www.chwchospital.org/live-it.