- 2 cups diced butternut squash, peeled, seeds removed
- 1 small onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- ½ cup chicken or vegetable stock
- ½ tsp dried thyme
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 lb whole wheat elbow macaroni (or your favorite type of pasta), cooked according to package instructions
- 8 oz shredded cheddar cheese
- 4 oz ⅓-less fat cream cheese
- Nutmeg or smoked paprika to taste – a dash or two (optional)
- Place squash, onion, garlic, stock and thyme into a slow cooker. Cover and cook on high for four hours or on low for eight hours, or until vegetables are very tender.
- Puree vegetables until smooth using an immersion blender or a regular blender. If using a regular blender, transfer puree back to the slow cooker.
- Add cheeses, salt and desired spices to the warm vegetable puree and stir until cheese is melted. Add cooked pasta and stir to combine. Serve immediately and enjoy!
Amount per serving
Yield: 8 servings
Total Fat 12 g
Cholesterol 40 mg
Sodium 441 mg
Potassium 190.5 mg
Total Carbohydrate 48.5 g
Dietary Fiber 6.7 g
Sugars 1.4 g
Protein 14.7 g
Vitamin A 79.8%
Vitamin C 14.4%
Live It is a cooking demonstration presented by the Nutrition Food Service and Wellness Departments at Parkview Health. Each episode is hosted by dietitian Andrea Miller, with a goal of showcasing nutrient-dense foods and teaching viewers doable ways to use them in order to promote wellness in our community.
For more recipes and to watch past episodes of Live It, visit www.www.chwchospital.org/live-it.