As demonstrated in the “Baba What?” episode of Live It – June 2019
- 2 medium eggplants, about 3 lbs
- ⅓ cup tahini
- 3 roasted garlic cloves or 1 fresh clove, minced
- Juice of 2 lemons
- ½ tsp salt
- ⅛ tsp cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- Fresh parsley or smoked paprika for garnish (optional)
- Wash and dry the eggplants and prick the skin all over with a fork. There are several methods of roasting an eggplant– over an open flame (increasing the smokiness of the flesh) or directly on a gas range, grill or broiler.
- Gas range or grill: no oil is needed. Roast 20-30 minutes, turning eggplant every 5 minutes.
- Broiler: place eggplant on a baking sheet coated in oil. Roast under broiler for 20-30 minutes, turning every 5 minutes. The roasted eggplant should be charred on all sides and appear shriveled and collapsed. Allow eggplant to cool.
- Scoop eggplant pulp into a medium bowl. Discard the charred skin. Add tahini, minced garlic, lemon juice, salt and cayenne pepper. Mash ingredients well with a fork until all ingredients are incorporated. If you’re having a hard time achieving a smooth consistency with a fork, you may use a food processor. Drizzle with olive oil and garnish with parsley or smoked paprika. Serve with pita bread, raw vegetables or crackers.
Tip: If you find that the eggplant pulp is not tender enough after roasting and peeling, you may microwave the eggplant pulp for a few minutes until the eggplant can be easily mashed with a fork.
Amount per serving
Yield: 10 servings
Total Fat 5.9 g
Saturated Fat 0.8 g
Polyunsaturated Fat 2.1 g
Monounsaturated Fat 2.6 g
Cholesterol 0.0 mg
Sodium 129.5 mg
Total Carbohydrate 10.9 g
Dietary Fiber 4.2 g
Sugars 5.1 g
Protein 2.8 g
Pantothenic Acid 4%
Live It is a cooking demonstration presented by the Nutrition Food Service and Wellness Departments at Parkview Health. Each episode is hosted by dietitian Andrea Miller, with a goal of showcasing nutrient-dense foods and teaching viewers doable ways to use them in order to promote wellness in our community.
For more recipes and to watch past episodes of Live It, visit www.www.chwchospital.org/live-it.